Sunday, November 8, 2015

Good bugs I have in the garden


The Hover fly is a good insect to have in my garden.
Adults “hover” to find a place to lay their eggs like around aphid colonies. This is so when the eggs hatch they have an immediate food source.



They are very predacious and love soft bodied insects, such as aphids.
To attract Hover Flies to my garden, I have flowers in the garden all year round, as well as native vegetation in the surrounding gardens.
I don’t use any sprays at all in my garden as I don’t want to harm the “good guys”.



Another good guy we have is the Ladybird. We are very lucky as there is an annual hatchery close by and they hatch in the millions.
Both the adult and larva are predators.
Ladybird larva is quite a ferocious grub and has relatively large legs.
They are greyish black in colour with orange or yellow markings that go across the body and may also be covered in spines or white fluffy material.
They love anything soft bodied including moth eggs, mites, aphids and leaf hoppers. I watched this little fellow on a garden stake enjoying the afternoon sun.











No comments:

Post a Comment